Okra (ladies fingers or gumbo) is a classic ingredient of this dish. It helps to thicken the sauce.
The ingredient of Slow-cooker chicken and chorizo gumbo
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh cutlets, skinless, trimmed
- 2 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper (see note)
- 150g okra, trimmed, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1/3 cup medium-grain white rice
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Slow-cooker chicken and chorizo gumbo
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until just golden. Transfer to the bowl of a 5.5-litre slow cooker.
- Add chorizo to frying pan. Cook for 1 minute each side. Add to slow cooker. Add onion, capsicum, celery and garlic to frying pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker. Add stock, tomato, thyme and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover with lid. Cook on low for 4 hours (or on high for 2 hours). Stir in okra, corn and rice. Cook, uncovered, on low for a further 1 hour or until chicken and rice are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.
Nutritions of Slow-cooker chicken and chorizo gumbofatContent: 410.841 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 23.6 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 36.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 154 milligrams cholesterol