The perfect centrepiece for your dinner table, this pie tastes as good as it looks.
The ingredient of Family chicken, bacon and leek pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (about 850g) chicken breast fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 250g bacon rashers, rind removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, ends trimmed, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 x 375g block puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
The instruction how to make Family chicken, bacon and leek pie
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken, reheating pan between batches.
- Add the bacon, leek and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the leek softens and the bacon is slightly golden. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in the stock until well combined. Add the chicken and thyme to the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Taste and season with pepper. Set aside for 1 hour to cool slightly. Stir in the parsley. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 220u00b0C. Roll out the pastry until 2cm wider than the top of a round 23cm (base measurement) pie dish. Place the pie dish, top-side down, on the pastry, and use it as a guide to cut a 1cm-wide strip from the edge of the pastry. Reserve the pastry strip.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the pie dish. Place a pie funnel in the centre of the dish. Brush the edge of the dish with a little egg. Use the pastry strip to line the edge of the dish. Brush with a little of the remaining egg. Cut a cross into the centre of the pastry disc for the pie funnel.
- Place the pastry disc on top of the dish. Press the edges to seal. Use a knife to create ridges around the edge of the pastry at 1cm intervals. Brush the top of the pastry with remaining egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Nutritions of Family chicken, bacon and leek piefatContent: 776.75 calories
saturatedFatContent: 34 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 11 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 50 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 68 grams protein