Aniseed hints from the fennel and tarragon add delicious freshness to these rustic chicken and mushroom pot pies.
The ingredient of Fennel, chicken and mushroom pot pies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Chicken Thigh Fillets, coarsely chopped
- 200g brown mushrooms, halved
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel, trimmed reserving fronds, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 20g pkt dried mixed forest mushrooms
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1 1/2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
- Cumin or fennel seeds, to sprinkle
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Fennel, chicken and mushroom pot pies
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in 2 batches, turning, for 5 mins or until brown all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat half the remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Cook the brown mushroom, stirring, for 5 mins or until tender. Transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Cook the onion and fennel, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until fennel softens.
- Return the chicken and brown mushroom to the pan with the flour. Cook for 1 min or until the flour is well combined. Add the mustard, stock and dried mushrooms. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, tarragon and sour cream. Season.
- Spoon mixture evenly among four 1 1/4-cup (310ml) ovenproof dishes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Cut pastry into desired shapes and place over the filling. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with cumin or fennel seeds. Bake for 20-25 mins or until pastry is golden brown and puffed. Top with reserved fronds. Serve with mash and salad leaves.
Nutritions of Fennel, chicken and mushroom pot piesfatContent: 741.139 calories
saturatedFatContent: 46 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 19 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 25 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 52 grams protein