Shake up your midweek menu with this creamy Jamaican chicken and sweet potato curry.
The ingredient of Jamaican chicken and sweet potato curry
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 orange habanero chilli, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 600g chicken breast filled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 lime, plus lime cheeks, extra, to serve
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Sliced green shallot, to serve
- Micro herbs, to serve
The instruction how to make Jamaican chicken and sweet potato curry
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic, bay leaves, ginger and chilli, if using. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add curry powder and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sweet potato and stir until coated. Stir in stock, coconut milk and thyme. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat a chargrill pan over high heat. Spray with oil. Cook the chicken, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Add chicken to sweet potato mixture and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Stir in juice of 1 lime. Serve with rice and extra lime cheeks, and sprinkled with green shallot and micro herbs.
Nutritions of Jamaican chicken and sweet potato curryfatContent: 610.406 calories
saturatedFatContent: 24 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 16 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 52 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 41 grams protein