Roast chicken wins hands-down! Add a lovely herb stuffing and a gravy spiked with whisky for a wintry twist.
The ingredient of Roast chicken with whisky-spiked gravy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 slices pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 cups (140g) fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 lemon thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken consomme
- 1/4 cup (60ml) whisky
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
The instruction how to make Roast chicken with whisky-spiked gravy
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C.
- Heat the oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook onion and pancetta for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until onion is soft and pancetta is crisp. Allow to cool.
- Combine onion and pancetta with breadcrumbs, lemon zest, pine nuts, lemon thyme and egg, season, then use to stuff the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, then brush with butter and season. Roast for 1-1 1/4 hours or until juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer chicken to a plate and rest, loosely covered with foil, while you make the gravy.
- To make the gravy, transfer pan juices to a small saucepan. Place over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in consomme, whisky and Worcestershire sauce, then cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes until smooth. Strain into a serving jug. Serve with the roast chicken and winter vegetables.
Nutritions of Roast chicken with whisky-spiked gravyfatContent: 435.936 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 19 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 4 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 45 grams protein
sodiumContent: 181 milligrams cholesterol