This delicious family meal can be made on the weekend and frozen to be reheated on a week-night when you dont have much time for cooking.
The ingredient of Chicken in white wine and caper sauce
- 750ml (3 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 500ml (2 cups) dry white wine
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 75g unsalted butter
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 50g (1/4 cup) drained baby capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
The instruction how to make Chicken in white wine and caper sauce
- Combine the stock and wine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Add the chicken. If necessary, add a little boiling water to cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Reserve 1.25L (5 cups) of the cooking liquid. (If youre freezing the dish ahead, reserve an extra 250ml or 1 cup cooking liquid.)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until a smooth paste forms. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the mixture has a slightly grainy texture.
- Add 1.25L (5 cups) of the reserved cooking liquid to the butter mixture, 250ml (1 cup) at a time, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Add the chicken to the saucepan. (To freeze, see tips below.)
- Cover the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through. Stir in the capers and lemon rind. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the chicken mixture among serving dishes. Serve with the gratin and salad (see notes).
Nutritions of Chicken in white wine and caper saucefatContent: 305.92 calories
saturatedFatContent: 18 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 27 grams protein