In the west, this dishs name has been bastardised to Bang Bang chicken. Yan-Kit So was a cook, historian, writer and linguist who brilliantly demystifi ed Chinese cookery. This is an adaptation from her Classic Chinese Cookbook (Penguin).
The ingredient of Pang pang chicken and noodle salad
- 1.6kg whole chicken, rinsed, dried
- 5cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 bulb garlic, halved widthwise
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers
- 4 green onions, trimmed
- 200g snow peas, trimmed
- 100g bean thread (cellophane) noodles (see note)
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 50g roasted cashews, chopped
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 75g (1/4 cup) Chinese sesame paste (see note)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black vinegar or rice vinegar (see note)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (see note), roasted, ground
- 1 red birdseye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Pang pang chicken and noodle salad
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place chicken in a roasting pan and place ginger and garlic in cavity. Tie legs together, brush with soy and add 200ml water to pan. Roast for 1 hour or until juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, whisk 2 teaspoons sesame oil with remaining ingredients and 2 tablespoons water.
- Using a vegetable peeler or Japanese mandolin, peel cucumbers into thin ribbons, working your way around seed core. Cut onions into 5cm lengths, then shred. Blanch snow peas in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and refresh. Add noodles to same water, remove from heat and soak for 5 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Place noodles in a bowl and toss with remaining sesame oil.
- Finely shred chicken leg meat and discard skin and bones. Remove breasts with skin intact, then slice thickly.
- Toss vegetables, shredded chicken, coriander, cashews and three-quarters of the dressing in a bowl. Spoon noodles among bowls, top with chicken salad and slices of breast meat, and serve drizzled with remaining dressing.
Nutritions of Pang pang chicken and noodle saladfatContent: 568.581 calories
saturatedFatContent: 33 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 25 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 40 grams protein
sodiumContent: 132 milligrams cholesterol