The ingredient of Szechuan chicken
- 2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 3 chicken breast fillets, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced diagonally
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
The instruction how to make Szechuan chicken
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the peppercorns and dry fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and place in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Add a pinch of salt and grind until it forms the consistency of finely cracked black pepper. Set aside until needed.
- Place the soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine and chicken in a non-metallic bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat half the peanut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. Drain the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Combine the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of water and whisk until it forms a smooth consistency. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the remaining peanut oil in the wok. Add the capsicum and carrot and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Return the chicken and any cooking juices to the wok, along with the reserved marinade, cornflour mixture, vinegar, sugar, chilli sauce and ground peppercorns. Cook for another 3 minutes, then toss through the green onions. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
Nutritions of Szechuan chickenfatContent: 274.372 calories
saturatedFatContent: 12 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 7 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 35 grams protein
sodiumContent: 88 milligrams cholesterol