Stuffed with chicken, pumpkin, tomatoes and ricotta, this hearty Christmas main is a delicious alternative to ham and turkey.
The ingredient of Chicken and roast pumpkin pastry wreath recipe
- 800g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g chicken breast
- 300g fresh ricotta
- 1 cup firmly packed combined fresh basil and parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 80g (1/2 cup) sundried tomato halves, drained
- 1 egg
- 445g packet Careu0302me shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- Plain flour, to dust
- Mixed or white sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Tomato relish, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Chicken and roast pumpkin pastry wreath recipe
- Preheat oven to 210C/190C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin and onion on the lined tray. Drizzle with 1 tbs oil. Season. Roast for 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking time, until golden and tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to cool completely and absorb excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tbs oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Season chicken. Cook, turning, for 10 minutes or until chicken is golden (chicken will not be completely cooked through). Set aside to cool. Cut chicken into 3cm pieces. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Combine ricotta, herbs, pine nuts, lemon rind and garlic in a bowl. Season. Add the chicken and tomatoes to pumpkin mixture. Gently toss to combine.
- Whisk egg and 1 tsp water in a bowl. Place the pastry sheet, long side facing you, on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper. Spread ricotta mixture lengthways in a 9cm-wide strip down centre of pastry. Top with pumpkin mixture. Brush edges of long sides with egg. Bring pastry sides up and over to enclose filling. Roll tightly and lay seam-side down. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill slightly. Remove from fridge and brush inside of short ends with egg. Bring ends together to form a circle and press to seal. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Carefully transfer wreath on baking paper to a large baking tray. Brush with egg. Use a small sharp knife to score the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool on the tray for 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with tomato relish, if you like.
Nutritions of Chicken and roast pumpkin pastry wreath recipefatContent: