This gourmet liver pate also incorporates shiitake mushrooms to make it even more special.
The ingredient of Chicken and shiitake mushroom pate
- 500g chicken livers
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 200g fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Grand Marnier liqueur
- Salt & ground white pepper
- 1-2 whole star anise, to garnish
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- Melba toasts, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and shiitake mushroom pate
- Use a small sharp knife to remove any white sinew, membranes and fat from the chicken livers. Trim any discoloured spots (these can make the pate bitter). Place chicken livers in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add half the chicken livers and cook for 30 seconds each side to seal. Cook, uncovered, for a further 4 minutes or until livers are brown on the outside but slightly pink in the centre. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining livers.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the mushroom and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the livers and liqueur and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Transfer liver mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process, scraping down the side with a spatula occasionally, until smooth. Transfer half the mixture to a coarse sieve. Use the back of a metal spoon to push the mixture through the sieve into a medium bowl. Repeat with the remaining liver mixture.
- Return the liver mixture to the bowl of the food processor. Cut the remaining butter into small cubes and add to the liver mixture. Process until butter is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the pate evenly among two 310ml (1 1/4-cup) capacity ceramic dishes or one 625ml (2 1/2-cup) capacity ceramic dish. Garnish with star anise (only use 1 for a larger dish). Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pate to cover. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Combine the stock and soy sauce in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and transfer to a heatproof jug. Sprinkle gelatine over the surface of the stock mixture and use a fork to whisk until the gelatine dissolves. Carefully pour gelatine mixture over the pate and place in the fridge for 6 hours to set.
- Remove pate from the fridge and set aside for 5 minutes to bring to room temperature. Serve with Melba toasts.
Nutritions of Chicken and shiitake mushroom patefatContent: