Melbourne Cup bites: A popular street food in South-East Asia, marinated skewers can be a snack or meal with rice, cucumber and the essential peanut sauce.
The ingredient of Chicken satay skewers
- 1 lemongrass stem, trimmed, outer layers removed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon finely grated palm sugar (see note)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, plus extra for basting
- 600g chicken breast, cut into 2cm cubes
- Peanut sauce (see related recipe), to serve
- Cucumber wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken satay skewers
- Pound lemongrass to a paste with a mortar and pestle. Mix well with spices sugar and oil. Place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish, rub with paste, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, soak about 18 wooden skewers in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Thread 5 chicken pieces onto each one.
- Heat a barbecue or large chargrill on medium-high heat and cook skewers, in batches, turning and constantly basting with extra oil, for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked and slightly charred. Serve skewers with sauce and cucumber.
Nutritions of Chicken satay skewersfatContent: 175.904 calories
saturatedFatContent: 8 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 3 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 2 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 23 grams protein
sodiumContent: 59 milligrams cholesterol