The ingredient of Moroccan chicken filo roll
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 x 7cm cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 85g (1/2 cup) whole pitted dates
- 1 x 100g pkt toasted slivered almonds (Ducks brand)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 sheets filo pastry (Pampas brand)
- 80g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 x 200g container natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh coriander, to serve
The instruction how to make Moroccan chicken filo roll
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a quarter of the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with the remaining chicken, in 3 more batches, adding 1 teaspoon of oil and reheating between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, sweet paprika, turmeric and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the flour and cook for a further 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add the chicken, chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is tender and the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in the dates and almonds. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place filo sheets on a clean surface. Cover with a clean tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent it drying out). Brush 1 sheet of filo with a little of the melted butter. Top with another sheet and brush with melted butter. Continue layering process with 3 more sheets of filo to make a stack of 5 sheets. Repeat with remaining filo and butter to form a second stack. Lay filo stacks so they are slightly overlapping along the long edge, with a long edge closest to you. Spoon chicken mixture along the edge closest to you, leaving an 8cm border on three sides. Fold in the ends and roll up to enclose the filling. Brush with any remaining butter and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Combine yoghurt and coriander in a small bowl. Cut roll into 8 portions. Serve with coriander yoghurt.
Nutritions of Moroccan chicken filo rollfatContent: 457.924 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 10 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 24 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 10 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 26 grams protein