Full of country-style French flavours, this creamy dish is casserole cooking at its best.
The ingredient of Chicken, leek and mushroom casserole
- 8 (about 2.2kg) chicken thigh pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g rindless bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, pale section only, washed, ends trimmed, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 400g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- Mashed potato, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken, leek and mushroom casserole
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Heat a 3L (12-cup) capacity flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reheating the dish between batches. Use kitchen paper to wipe the dish to remove excess fat.
- Heat oil in the dish over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, leek, mushroom and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until well combined. Add the stock, wine and thyme, and bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken to the dish. Cover and bake in oven for 1 hour or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a skewer.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a plate. Transfer the remaining leek mixture to a medium saucepan. Add the cream and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Divide the mash among serving plates and top with the chicken. Pour over the leek mixture to serve.
Nutritions of Chicken, leek and mushroom casserolefatContent: 669.2 calories
saturatedFatContent: 36 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 9.5 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 74 grams protein